Monday, November 24, 2014

Working with Glenn Penner, I was recently fortunate enough to find Russian census information among the collections of the Mormon Family Search Library.  Combined onto 4 rolls of film were scans of the 1816 Revision Lists (Ревізькі казки) for Ostrog and Kremenets Counties.  I had no expectations viewing the films for the first time, but quickly stumbled upon the lists for the Village of Antonovka.

We are currently working to properly translate these lists, but it appears as if 22 families are listed, all identified as Mennonites, with an additional 7 families in 2 supplemental lists.  Typical Przechowka family names are listed: Nachtigal, Buller, Becker, Ratzlaff, Jantz, Koehn, Richert, Schmidt, Wedel, Unruh, Voth.  After efforts to properly translate these lists are complete, final drafts will be posted to mennonitegenealogy.com.

Unfortunately, after searching and searching, I have been unable to identify the lists for the Village of Karolswalde (Sloboda Holendry) on the Mormon films.

4 Ratzlaffs are listed living in Antonovka.  3 brothers; Peter, Heinrich, and Andreas (All sons of Bernard Ratzlaff of Jeziorken), as well as Peter Ratzlaff, whose father's name was also Peter Ratzlaff.

Of particular interest to me is Heinrich Ratzlaff, son of Bernard Ratzlaff.  Heinrich is listed with his wife, Teresa, along with several children.  One of these children, named Heinrich, was 3/4 of a year old at the time of the census, 1816 (possibly in June of that year).  I believe this Heinrich may very well be my great great great grandfather, the father of Jacob Ratzlaff (b1842).

To confirm the relationship of Heinrich (b c1815) and Jacob (b1842), it would be necessary to see another census list that would list this Heinrich and his sons.  Jewish researchers at JewishGen.org have indicated that the 1850 and 1858 Revision Lists are housed at the State Historical and Cultural Museum in Ostrog.  And, as luck would have it, I have just potentially made a contact with a professor at the Ostrog Academy who may be willing to contact the director of the museum regarding potential copies of the Revision Lists.  With a little more luck, I may be fortunate enough to get information from these Revision Lists and definitively link my Ratzlaff Family with the Ratzlaffs of Przechowka.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Rod, I was hoping you may have a contact and/or email address for the following information. 1864 and 1886 Russian census located at the Ostrog Regional Museum. My g-grandparents were from Ostrog.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike-
      I have made a contact in Ostrog who has made some preliminary searches for me. She also indicates there are records in a museum in nearby Nitishyn. However, due to difficulties brought on by the current political situation in Ukraine, she is unable to continue helping me at this time. If (or hopefully, when) she is able to resume work with the records I will ask her if she would be willing to help you.

      I was unaware of censuses from 1864 and 1886. And they should also be housed at the museum? Are you confident of this? That would indeed be valuable information for me as my ancestors did not leave the area until the 1890s and early 1900s.

      Were your great grandparents residents of the Town of Ostrog or did they live in a village in Ostrog County? Were they Ukrainians or were they of a different ethnic group?

      thanks
      Rod

      Delete
  2. Rod,
    Sorry about the delay. I just returned to your webpage.

    I am not confident about the 1864 and 1886 census as someone else questioned it, too. Maybe it was a supplement to the main census??? I believe I found the information on the RTR Foundation website.

    The bank record showed that they were living in Ostrog. I am not sure if they lived in a village or in a town. They were jewish Russians.

    I do appreciate if you could reach out to her on my behalf. Do you happen to have an email address for the Ostrog Regional Museum?

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. The challenge is that my g-granfather was born in the 1859-1862 time period so the 1858 census would not be of help to me... Not sure what other stone I can turn over...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The challenge is that my g-granfather was born in the 1859-1862 time period so the 1858 census would not be of help to me... Not sure what other stone I can turn over...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rod,
    Sorry about the delay. I just returned to your webpage.

    I am not confident about the 1864 and 1886 census as someone else questioned it, too. Maybe it was a supplement to the main census??? I believe I found the information on the RTR Foundation website.

    The bank record showed that they were living in Ostrog. I am not sure if they lived in a village or in a town. They were jewish Russians.

    I do appreciate if you could reach out to her on my behalf. Do you happen to have an email address for the Ostrog Regional Museum?

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mike-
    I'm told that records at the Ostrog Museum are limited. After the Bolshevik Revolution, the villages to the south and east of Ostrog stayed under Soviet control while Ostrog and villages to the north and west passed to Polish control. The villages falling under Soviet control passed into Zaslaw County, and later Shepetivka County, so records for these villages were transferred out of Ostrog. This is what happened with my ancestral villages, so now I'm searching in Khmelnitski and Novograd-Volyn. The Soviets coming through these towns also took some records even to Moscow.

    I do not have an email address for the museum, but you can find information on it here and there (http://ridna.ua/museums/krajeznavchyj-muzej-viddil-derzhavnoho-istoryko-kulturnoho-zapovidnyka-m-ostroh/)

    If I were you, I would start at JewishGen.org. These folks know a lot about these census lists and might be able to help (http://www.jewishgen.org/ukraine/GEO_district.asp?id=60).

    Are you writing from USA? If you ancestors emigrated from Russia, a shiplist may give you ideas about the village name where they lived. please email me at ratz01a@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I am writing from the USA. I found the ship manifest a while back. However, no mention of city or village...just Russia.

    Thank you for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete