Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Tour of Poland, part 3


In the morning (Tuesday, 18 June) I was up early (4:15am) to get a good look at Gdańsk.  The old city isn’t very big.  It’s roughly a square, .5 mile by .5 mile, crisscrossed by narrow streets.    The old city is bordered on the east by the Motława Canal, on the south by Route 501, the west by Route 91.  I was easily able to walk to see the Great Armory, the Rathaus, St. Mary’s church, the Green Gate, the Golden Gate, the Long Market and St. Mary’s Street, as well as the historic crane, before anyone else was up.  It was my 8th wedding anniversary, I was walking the old city streets of Gdańsk, and my dear wife was back home peacefully sleeping in her bed. 
Great Armory

Golden Gate

Buildings on the Long Lane

Artus Court with the Rathaus

Green Gate

Great Crane

Waterfront along the Motława Canal
After returning to the hotel and breakfast with the group, we set out on a walking tour of the old city which included tours of the rathaus and St Mary’s Church.  After that, we were onto the bus to go north to the shipyards and on to a beautiful resort at Sopot.  We approached, but did not enter, the longest wooden pier in all of Europe which extends into the Baltic Sea from Lower Sopot.  A lunch, with more soup, was served at the Smak Morza Restaurant adjacent to the Grand Hotel.

On the way to and from Sopot, we passed huge communist-era apartment blocks in the northwest suburbs of Gdańsk.  The largest block is almost .5 mile long and provides homes for more than 6,000 people.  This was almost exactly the picture I had in my mind of Soviet-style; state provided housing in the eastern bloc in the second half of the 20th Century.

After lunch we had the option to return to the hotel or travel with the group to cemeteries of Orlofferfeld, Ladekop, etc.  I opted to return to the hotel and be on my own for the afternoon and evening since I didn’t have any ancestors (that I’m aware of) coming from Gross Werder areas other than Rosenort and Heubuden, and we’d see these in the upcoming days.  Besides that, I needed a little time on my own to explore Gdańsk which was a major historic point of interest to me. 

Gdańsk was likely the point of entry to Polish Prussia for my ancestors and for almost all Mennonites coming from the Lowlands in the 16th Century.  Significant to me, the earliest Mennonite Richert (my 9th Great Grandfather) was said to have been a cobbler in Gdańsk and it seems like the Przechowka Sparlings, too, may have originated here.  According to some stories, when that first mercenary Ratzlaff (my 9th Great Grandfather) joined the Mennonites at Przechowka, he was required to travel to the Lowlands to be baptized.  If the story is true, he almost certainly would have left Polish Prussia from the port of Gdańsk.  We also know that visiting VIPs from the Mennonite churches in the Lowlands, such as Hendrik Berents Hulshoff, arrived in Polish Prussia via Gdańsk.  Hulshoff tells a story about how he brought “a great chest of books” to Poland from the Lowlands.  Could this chest have been offloaded by the great old Crane (Brama Żuraw)?  To me, nosing about these little streets and looking at the waterfront or the Crane, was following in my ancestors’ footsteps even more than was visiting some of the Mennonite cemeteries.

My first course of business was souvenir shopping.  Today was the wedding anniversary so I needed some amber, pronto.  I scratched around in several shops but talked myself out of all their wares.  Finally, I entered a quiet little shop and expressed interest to the young girl running the counter in buying a necklace.  She was so helpful and friendly and after I bought a couple things, she repeatedly expressed thanks and wished me a good day over and over.  The Polish people really are very friendly to tourists.

After the amber purchase I committed to climbing to the top of the tower of St. Mary’s Church, the largest brick church in the world (it can accommodate 25,000 people).  The first 200 or so steps were up a very narrow, spiral brick staircase.  No handrails meant I had to be super-careful.  OSHA certainly would not have approved.  After the spiral I was up above the vaulted ceiling of the church and a walkway led me out to the square tower.  I could see the stairways going up, up, up the perimeter of the tower, and a couple gargantuan bells hung in the void in the middle.  After more than 400 steps I finally came up and out into the gleaming sunshine atop the square tower; the ground was some 260 feet below.  The sights of Gdańsk were magnificent and I had to make sure to stay long enough to make sure the climb was worthwhile (for reference sake, the statue of liberty is about 305 feet high).


After my shopping and climbing I had a wonderful dinner at Sempre Pizza along the Motława Canal.  Then I was lucky enough to find a shop selling amazing lemon ice cream.  In the States, lemon ice cream would be sugared down to the point where it’s almost not edible.  Here in Poland, deleting a good portion of the sugar, the sour leman ice cream made me curl my tongue with each and every last lick and it was absolutely fantastic.

Next morning (Wednesday) we were up and out early for a church service at the old Danzig Mennonite church which is located (Menonitów 2A, 80-805 Gdańsk, Poland) on the southwest corner of the intersection of Routes 91 and 501.  Originally this building had to be outside the city gates since it was a Mennonite church and Mennonites were not allowed to live or do business within the city walls.  This church was erected in 1819 and served as the meetinghouse for the united Flemish and Frisian Danzig congregation.  Today it’s a Catholic church.  We met another Mennonite tour, this one originating in Germany, at the church for the service.  We had a short service and sang several old hymns and it was profoundly moving to hear the hymns sung in German in spontaneous 4-part harmony. 
Danzig Mennonite church

After the service, we were off for a tour of the Marienburg Castle in Malbork.  This was an interesting tour but honestly it took a very long time.  It’s the largest castle in the world so I guess the length of the tour wasn’t a surprise.  A proper tour of this magnificent castle would last days and days but I really wanted to get back to Mennonite sites.
Marienburg Castle at Malbork

We stopped for a quick lunch at an Orlen station, and then were on to visit the cemetery at Heubuden, perhaps the largest, best restored Mennonite cemetery in Poland.  The cemetery is located just a little to the north of the village of Stogi (Heubuden).  Most interesting to me in this cemetery was the Tobias Sparling (Grandma #53738/Prz #891) gravestone which had been located in the Przechowka vicinity and moved to this location by a Mennonite group (including Unruhs from Alexanderwohl, led by Peter Klassen) back in the 1990s.
Heubuden Mennonite cemetery

Tobias Sparling gravestone, originally from Przechowka area, now at Heubuden cemetery

Heubuden was the oldest Flemish gemeinde in the Gross Werder (Delta area), after Danzig and Elbing.  Mennonites were living here in this pastureland owned by Gdańsk City by the first quarter of the 17th Century.  In 1728 the gemeinde was made independent from Danzig.

After this we returned to Gdańsk for just a little free time and then a visit to Zum Lachs for dinner.  I had just enough time to run over to a little shop at the foot of St. Mary’s church that I had missed the previous day.  This shop was selling handmade items of Kashubian folk art.  My Ratzlaff ancestors, or more correctly, Raclaw (Ratzlaff is actually a Germanized form of the Polish spelling which is Raclaw or Racław, itself a derivation from Rocławski) originally came from the area north and west of the Vistula River, an area known as Pomerania or more properly in Poland, Kashubia.  The Kashubians still exist today as an ethnic minority in Poland.  They have their own distinct language and culture and it’s their folk art that, I feel, symbolizes the origins of my Ratzlaff surname.  Kashubian folk art is characterized by bright floral patterns – reds, yellows, and blues – embroidered or painted on white backgrounds.  Very slightly abstract, these designs, for me, symbolize Polish art in the areas south of the Baltic between Gdańsk and Szczecin.  As I entered the shop, the seamstress was sitting on a couch working on an embroidered wall-hanging.  I looked around the shop and she humbly showed me some of her work.  I glanced at the piece she was working on just then and decided that was what I actually wanted so I asked her how long it would take for her to complete it?  10 minutes, and I could wait on the rocking chair on the porch of the shop.  How perfect is that?  I wanted a piece of handmade Kashubian folk art and the artisan herself was finishing the wall hanging up just for me.  I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome.
This type of thing, especially the colorful embroidery in the corners, is very representative of Kashubian folk art.

Meeting for dinner that night, of course, meant more soup.  But Zum Lachs was a fascinating experience with its sumptuous interior and post-meal shot of Goldwasser.  Zum Lachs, or Pod Łososiem in Polish, is a restaurant established in 1598 by a Mennonite named Ambrosius Vermeulen who also invented Goldwasser.  Dinner was tipped off with a bowl of creamed asparagus soup followed by pork and potatoes and finally crème Brule.  And then came the presentation of the shots of Goldwasser.  Goldwasser is an herbal liqueur invented by Vermeulen ages ago.  Its real claim to fame is the fact that it actually has bits of gold flake swimming in it.  The gold as an additive presumably is meant to aid digestion.  The drink became so famous that, for instance, Peter the Great, Emperor of all the Russias, had a permanent delivery of the drink scheduled periodically to his residences in St. Petersburg.  For me, the shot of Goldwasser tasted something like how I’d imagine paint thinner would taste, but at least now I can say that I’ve had it in the original location.  That’s the one thing that Tsar Peter the Great and I now have in common.
Zum Lachs, or Pod Łososiem, is the red building in the middle

I’ll never forget that dinner but I quickly returned to the hotel.  I was troubled by the fact that the tour didn’t see more of the Tragheimerweide and Penner/Lohrentz-related villages and I was trying to work out if I could include these on my route for our private tour on Friday.  I spent the evening calculating driving times to villages near Elbląg, between Sztum and Malbork, and finally Świecie.
I’ll admit that by this point I was looking beyond the tour and on to my own personal excursion on Friday.  Lena, my 9th half-cousin, twice removed, would be coming from Germany to meet me, and together we’d drive to Świecie to join Michał for a tour of Przechowka-associated villages.  By now I was wondering how to work in a more thorough drive through the Tragheimerweide villages as well.  Additionally, I wondered if we should consider passing through a couple villages in the Elbląg area where some of Lena’s ancestors had lived.  Doing so would necessitate an extremely early departure time on Friday morning, but I was of the opinion that it’d be worth it.  Texting back and forth with Michał, he indicated that my plan was feasible if we were open to getting up very early in the morning.  I had to hold out hope that Lena would be open to such a plan.
Fields with poppies near Einlage

Thursday morning, 20 June, opened with breakfast in the hotel and boarding the bus around 9am.  We stopped at a couple villages and I snapped pictures of the beautiful countryside east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (known by the Mennonites as Tiegenhof).  We visited Jazowa (Einlage) where I got a lot of pictures of fields full of poppy flowers.  Then we had a visit to the cemetery at Wiktorowo (Wickerau) which is located towards the northeast corner of the village.  My Neufeld ancestors could have been buried here.
Mennonite cemetery at Wiktorowo (Wickerau)

From Wickerau we entered the city of Elbląg from the west and parked along the Elblag Canal which runs north-south through the city.  We walked into the old town on Studzienna Street, bound for the old Mennonite church which is located at 12 Garbary, Elbląg.  This church was built in 1590 and is the oldest Mennonite church in Poland.  The building is a typical example of a Dutch hidden-church.  It was one of the few buildings in the old town in Elbląg to survive WWII. 
Mennonite church in Elblag, built 1590

From here we walked back west across Studzienna Street to a nice restaurant for a hot and stuffy, but very nice, lunch which of course included another bowl of soup (this time cold, and full of beets).  I’ve never eaten so much soup in my life but little known to me at the time, this would be the last bowl.

After lunch we walked back across the drawbridge over the canal (we had to hurry because the drawbridge was due to open soon, making a crossing back to the west side impossible) and we again met with the German Mennonite tour group for a joint service at the new Elbing Mennonite church which was constructed about 1890.  This church was located just west of the drawbridge, at about 9 Warszawska Street where Studzienna, Orla, and Warszawska Streets all meet.  The service was again wonderful with very touching hymns sung in German.  It’s now a Catholic church and the priest gave us a very warm welcome and provided refreshments.  He was super proud to have us as his guests.  He would stand at the podium and say a couple sentences in Polish through a bashful grin.  A member of the German tour group standing next to him would give a translation in German and then our tour leader, U.N.-style via microphone and earpieces, would translate to English for our tour.  It was super-cumbersome but the shiny little priest, his rosy cheeks, freshly oiled hair, and tightly clasped hands, was over-the-top excited to have us there.  It was fascinating and really pulled at one’s heart strings to see how these Poles again and again graciously welcomed us Mennonites back into their communities and churches and to see how they now care for the buildings and cemeteries we left behind.  They seemed genuinely happy to have us return to their country and they appreciate the contributions we made to their culture.  I was able to make a couple friends among the German group: one German man whose son had spent time as an exchange student in high school in Newton, KS, and another couple who lived near Basel, Switzerland.

After the service, we drove to the cemetery at Rosenort (Suchowo; Różewo) where my Wiens ancestors came from.  We had a short service with the German group consecrating a gravestone in the memory of Cornelius Warkentin, elder of the Rosenort Gemeinde toward the very end of the 18th Century who played an instrumental role in establishing the Chortitza Colony in Russian Ukraine (Rosenort was established as an independent Flemish gemeinde about 1735.  Most congregants were from the Elbing/Ellerwald area.).  The German hymns sung in the cemetery were stunningly profound and I had to struggle to hold back tears.  The melodies were familiar to me but I couldn’t understand the German words very much.  Even so, even with the lack of understanding of the words, these German hymns were perhaps more meaningful to me than any I’ve ever heard or sung in my life.  I stood leaning on a giant old oak tree at the north edge of the cemetery and listened to the German hymns just as my Wiens ancestors who lived in this community would have done more than 200 years ago.
Rosenort Mennonite cemetery

From the cemetery we had to hurry to board the bus as storm clouds were approaching from the west.  As we rolled into Nowy Dwór Gdański, it was raining and we had to rush into the Mennonite Museum (Muzeum Żuławskie w Nowym Dworze Gdańskim) which is a wonderful facility located in the middle of the small town.  If I understand right, the museum is housed in buildings which used to be a large Mennonite-run dairy.

After the museum tour we headed north along the Tuja (Tiege) River to Żelichowo (Petershagen) to the Mały Holender (Small Dutchman) restaurant which is housed in a wonderful old, restored, arcaded Mennonite house (Żelichowo 31A, 82-100 Żelichowo, Poland).  It was beautiful here, cooler in the post-thunderstorm, soft light of evening.  An outdoor BBQ was underway and we were able to explore the house which has been repurposed as a bed & breakfast/restaurant and I again got to visit with my new German friends.  The restaurant prides itself on serving Machandel, a juniper vodka established in the late 1700s by the Mennonite Stobbe family of Tiegenhof.  Interestingly, my new friend whose son studied in Newton is married to an heir of this very Stobbe family and after our meal he told me tales of escaping from East to West Berlin as a young boy.
Mały Holender restaurant

After dinner, we headed back to Gdańsk via Nowy Dwór Gdański and the S7 which we’d driven across several times now.  I had no idea how my cousin Lena intended to find the Admiral Hotel in Gdańsk but she soon texted me to say that she had arrived there and was waiting for us to return.
We had a great little reunion including Lena, myself, and the Janzen family who was also on the tour.  Without doing the math, I honestly assume the Janzens are more closely related to Lena than I am.  While taking Lena to her hotel, we decided that the two of us would indeed leave the Admiral Hotel the next morning at 4am and tour the area near Elbląg where her ancestors came from before continuing on to the Tragheimerweide area all before 9:00 am when we were due to meet Michał near Świecie.  There wouldn’t be much sleeping this night.

No comments:

Post a Comment